The Italian Easter Bread is a good dish to serve your guest this easter.
- 3 packages dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon anise oil or 1/2 bottle anise extract
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) melted margarine (do not use a spread)
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk, for glaze
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Melt margarine let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Beat 6 eggs until lemon colored and thick, then add sugar.
- Add remaining ingredients, including margarine. Add yeast mixture and about 5 cups flour.
- Add remaining flour gradually to make a soft dough (dough shouldn’t be sticky). Knead until smooth.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down raise a second time, until doubled. Divide dough into 6 pieces.
- Mold dough into desired shapes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until golden brown.
- Slightly beat 1 egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of water brush hot loaves with the egg mixture.
NOTE: We cut kneading time in half by using an electric mixer with a bread hook. And we also cut the recipe in half with no trouble. If you have any doubt feel free to contact us here.